Partner, London, Dubai
T. +44 (0) 20 7481 0010, +971 4 307 6000
Anna advises clients on regulatory and compliance issues with particular focus on the client’s GCC operations.
She has handled disputes involving allegations of corruption and fraud both in England and in Dubai, including advising clients on criminal aspects and civil recoveries. She has also advised in relation to violations of cyber policies and cyber-crime by employees, including assistance in internal investigations and multi-jurisdictional aspects.
Anna advises shipping and logistics companies as well as OSV operators on the implications of international sanctions regimes and drafts clauses dealing with the relevant sanctions including compliance, indemnities and termination provisions. She also advises on local laws relating to corporate anti-bribery policies.
Compliance Experience List
- Advising on the UAE Competition Law and the extent to which it applies to the activities of an insurance broker;
- Advising insurers and brokers on the UAE data protection regime and privacy issues in the workplace;
- Advising an insurer based in the UAE on the US and EU sanction issues arising out of a claim for general average contribution following seizure, recapture and repair of the carrying vessel, and the insured cargo being carried on it, in circumstances where the vessel was owned by sanctioned entities;
- Advising Tasweeq, the leading provider of regional oil & gas marketing and logistics information and market research, on compliance issues that included the UK Anti-Money Laundering regime, the UK Anti-Terrorism Crime & Security Act 2001, the Terrorism Act 2000, the UK Bribery Act 2010 and the OECD Convention on Combatting Bribery of Foreign Public Officials in International Business Transactions;
- Advising the Dubai Department of Transport in relation to the Maritime Transport Regulations and advising on the compatibility of the proposed draft regulations with current local laws;
- Advising the branch office of a major Swiss bank in relation to compliance with the UAE Central Bank’s regulations;
- Advising numerous clients based in the Middle East that are interested in expanding into Iran in relation to sanctions, receiving monies/ payments from Iran and raising finance in relation to projects in Iran;
- Advising three UAE based logistics companies on sanctions clauses in their contracts and sanctions compliance issues;
- Acting for a number of listed companies concerning their compliance with the relevant regulator’s rules and regulations;
- Undertaking an extensive compliance audit for a leading investment bank based in the Middle East, including reviewing and updating the terms of reference for the various committees within the bank (remuneration, audit, risk etc.) and employment contracts to ensure compliance with new legislation issued by the Central Bank;
- Advising on anti-money laundering legal requirements for an exchange company as part of a due diligence report prepared for its acquisition;
- Advising on the recall of products and consumer rights issues;
- Advising on regulations relating to the import and export of goods;
- Advising a national airline in the Middle East in relation to numerous corporate governance and compliance matters across its worldwide network of offices, including in connection with the establishment of new routes/ destinations, maintenance and repair obligations, cyber security and tender board rules and regulations and drafting a number of internal policies to ensure compliance;
- Advising numerous clients on the regulations of the DIFC, including in respect of internal and regulatory (DFSA) investigations;
- Drafting the laws and regulations for the creation of Dubai Logistics City and associated documentation in connection with its operations; and
- Advising on the laws and regulations (including the laws and regulations of the UAE, Dubai, DIFC and TECOM) applicable in relation to the proposed secured notes issued as a private placement for the financing of a AED 6 billion high-end mixed use real estate project. Our advice covered regulatory and compliance issues facing the project, the project company and the parent company.